assignments

ARTICLE REVIEW

What I’ve found most interesting about this article is that you can express your culture or
other people’s culture through photography. When they ask us what we do, we say
photography and they think it’s something simple and basic but to is much more to us and it’s
something that defines us. Adam says he would usually say he does documentary
photography, but it didn’t sit right for him. He then mentions that it was much more than that
and he says, “I am personally fascinated by people’s points of view and try to express my
projects from my point of view, not an objective one”. Once he figured that out it was much
easier for him to express and show people what he does.

10,000 PHOTOGRAPHY SHOPPING SPREE

DJI Inspire 2 Advanced Kit with Zenmuse X7 Gimbal & 16mm/2.8 ASPH ND Lens $9,400

Olympus Tough TG-6 Digital Camera (Red) $450

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens $175

Total: 10,025

Donna Dotan

Characterized by straight lines, expansive views, and unique angles, architectural photography is seemingly one of the most rigid genres of photography. However, within a loosely defined set of rules lies one of the more conceptually challenging and technical fields where creativity and personality can truly highlight the world around us. By nature, architectural photography exists mainly within the realm of commission-based, commercial work, but a great deal of charisma and intuition is employed in such imagery to bring light and a subjective take to scenes many people interact with on a daily basis.

Championing this idea of infusing personality into imagery, along with a family background in real estate, is architectural and interior photographer Donna Dotan. Based in New York City and raised in Israel, Dotan’s personal history has been contextualized by her surroundings, which directly influence the photographs she creates. After some refinement during college in Manhattan, Dotan remarks on the transition from her earliest images of the homes of Jerusalem to her current focus on New York. “I knew I loved the images I was creating, but it wasn’t until after college that I decided to take classes at the International Center of Photography in Manhattan. At the time, I was working at the Carlyle Hotel while studying photography at night. During my breaks I was given permission to photograph the gorgeous rooms of the Carlyle. This portfolio of images led to my first gig shooting apartments for sale in New York City.”

Peter R. Miller

The cameras and lenses are in individual cases, which are then padded with rain covers and a sweat shirt or rain jacket. Preferring not to take anything into the game that he’s not going to use for the actual shoot, he unpacks in the car and leaves all the cases there.

And that’s just for football. Baseball and basketball require extensive use of remotes.

For baseball, options include an extra 70-200mm for home plate remote angles and then, instead of using both the 600mm and the 400mm, he’ll probably just cut it down to the 400mm with an extender: “With most of the ball parks on the West Coast, I’m good with the 400mm and maybe an extender if I wanna get tight.”

Basketball, on the other hand, is “remote city, as many as I and my assistant have time to put up, and those depend on the building, like an overhead remote in the Staples Center that’s basically a 400mm straight down, and then behind the backboard is a remote with, usually, a 20mm or a 24mm. [Basically] a lot of wides, a long lens for overhead, and then on the court, I’ll use the 300mm or 400mm for down-court and then the 70-200mm or the 24-70mm for my end.”

LIST 5 WAYS TO IMPROVE PHOTOGRAPHY COMPOSITION

• Always ask yourself “What is the main point of interest in this scene?” or “What is my main subject?”
  • Switch the gridlines on in your iPhone’s camera app to display two horizontal and two vertical lines. The rule of thirds suggests that the most powerful areas of the image are the four points where the lines intersect, and that our eyes are naturally drawn to these areas first.
  • When taking photos, imagine a diagonal line drawn from one corner of the image to the opposite corner, and then place the main subjects along this line.
  • By aligning the crucial parts of the composition diagonally, the image is balanced both horizontally and vertically.
  • Leading lines are one of the most powerful ways to create an image with a really strong visual impact that will get your iPhone photos noticed.

PHOTO FPOUNDATIONS

Aperture: controls the area over which light can enter your camera
Shutter speed: controls the duration of the exposure
ISO speed: controls the sensitivity of your camera’s sensor to a given amount of light.

Shutter Speed

A camera’s shutter determines when the camera sensor will be open or closed to incoming light from the camera lens. The shutter speed specifically refers to how long this light is permitted to enter the camera. “Shutter speed” and “exposure time” refer to the same concept, where a faster shutter speed means a shorter exposure time.

Aperture Settings

A camera’s aperture setting controls the area over which light can pass through your camera lens. It is specified in terms of an f-stop value, which can at times be counterintuitive, because the area of the opening increases as the f-stop decreases. In photographer slang, when someone says they are “stopping down” or “opening up” their lens, they are referring to increasing and decreasing the f-stop value, respectively.

ISO Speed

The ISO speed determines how sensitive the camera is to incoming light. Similar to shutter speed, it also correlates 1:1 with how much the exposure increases or decreases. However, unlike aperture and shutter speed, a lower ISO speed is almost always desirable, since higher ISO increases images noise. As a result, ISO speed is usually only increased from its minimum value if the desired aperture and shutter speed aren’t otherwise obtainable.

Skip to toolbar